In November I took part I of a two-part workshop on Huck Weaving through my local weavers guild. Jayne Flanagan taught us lots about huck: huck lace, huck spot, and a bit about designing our own patterns in huck. Our homework, due next month, is to find (or design!) a huck pattern and weave it. We’re to make 15 samples, one for each participant and the instructor.
I love lace weaving, at least the lace weaving I’ve done so far, so I was excited about the opportunity to learn more. November to February seemed like LOTS of time, so I didn’t fret too much when the holiday busyness kept me away from this project.
But then it was mid-January and though I’d thought quite a bit about this, I hadn’t done anything concrete. I’m weaving an 8-shaft pattern which is meant to look like a flower when done.
I’m using some 10/2 cotton and I got my warp wound:
As I got to the end of threading the heddles I realized that I had goofed and my pattern wasn’t symmetrical horizontally, so I ended up removing the first three pattern threads and rethreading the plainweave selvedge. Even though this was just a sample, I knew that was going to bother me.
I finished getting the project on the loom and started weaving my samples. The first one gave me the opportunity to figure out the pattern, how hard I wanted to beat in the weft threads and how I wanted to repeat the pattern to make a good sample.
I think I’ve got things settled. Here’s part of one sample:
I am weaving the 30 pick pattern 3 times, starting and ending with weft yarn that is the same as the warp yarn. In the middle I’m using a lighter purple pearl cotton. It isn’t standing out as much as I thought it might, but it is so hard to tell the end result during the weaving. It will look much different once it is off the loom, washed and pressed. If I did my warp length calculations correctly, then I should have enough warp left over to weave a fingertip towel. I can’t wait to see what everyone else in the workshop has done.